How I Got to Madison Avenue. And beyond.

As with life, this blog is developing and changing. It began with a lot of stories that occurred on my career path from Albany to Madison Avenue and back.

There were some similarities to the AMC series "Mad Men," and then I went even farther back in time with a somewhat fictionalized version of growing up in Troy's Little Italy.

And now, a new development. As my free lance advertising and marketing career winds down, I'm becoming more interested in the theatre arts that my father and his 3 brothers helped instill in me as I grew up.

As a result, I've volunteered to help promote the Theatre Institute at Sage, and now, to continue a long-interrupted desire to be behind the proscenium, I've joined the newly formed Troy Civic Theatre, and was actually fortunate enough to appear in their first production.

So, I hope you'll enjoy the new stories that will develop from this latest turn.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

House Hunting Advice

Spring. The time when thoughts turn to moving up in the world, to start looking around and deciding it's time to move to a bigger/smaller/warmer/better in someway house.

If you're getting the itch to start looking around, I've got the perfect place to start -- you can check it out here. There's an open house from noon to 2 today at 228 Forts Ferry Road in Latham, a unique house in the center of the Capital District, with a view that could start a new school of painting to rival the Hudson School.

See what I mean? (The view from my deck.)

But wait -- it's a gloomy, showery day. Shouldn't you wait for a sunny, blue sky day, when the sun is glittering off the Mohawk as it wends its way a couple of twisty miles to spill over the Cohoes Falls?

The best house hunting advice I ever got was from my father -- always look at a house in the rain, or just after the rain -- how else will you know if it leaks or not?

I can give you this advice with complete confidence, because the roofs on my rambling house are less than ten years old. And overhead in the original part of the house, the rain sounds lovely as it plays upon the metal.
Besides, my view is even spectacular on a misty day, as you can see it this photo.

So plan your drive and visit as many open houses as you can today. You can thank me at the closing.

No comments:

Post a Comment