How I Got to Madison Avenue. And beyond.

As with life, this blog is developing and changing. It began with a lot of stories that occurred on my career path from Albany to Madison Avenue and back.

There were some similarities to the AMC series "Mad Men," and then I went even farther back in time with a somewhat fictionalized version of growing up in Troy's Little Italy.

And now, a new development. As my free lance advertising and marketing career winds down, I'm becoming more interested in the theatre arts that my father and his 3 brothers helped instill in me as I grew up.

As a result, I've volunteered to help promote the Theatre Institute at Sage, and now, to continue a long-interrupted desire to be behind the proscenium, I've joined the newly formed Troy Civic Theatre, and was actually fortunate enough to appear in their first production.

So, I hope you'll enjoy the new stories that will develop from this latest turn.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Advocate Moves On

Yet another departure from my "normal" blogging. In today's Albany Times Union, it was announced that Cathy Woodruff, who was the newspaper's "Advocate," is leaving for a new, unnamed job.

Just about one year ago, Cathy interviewed me and recorded a video (you can watch it here) about my being taken to court by the New York State Canal Corporation for not paying a "Beautification Fee," an annual permit they wanted me to pay so that I could mow the part of my lawn that abuts the Erie Canal, and is legally the property of "The people of New York State."

Today, I emailed Cathy Woodruff the following message, and I'd like to share it with you today:

"Cathy:
I read in today's TU your last Advocate column, and I wanted to offer my personal thanks for your excellent reporting on my "Canal Problem."
I can't say whether your reporting, the change in canal leadership, or the devastating floods of 2011 was the main reason that I wasn't asked to pay a permit for my 2011 mowing of NYS property, but I suspect that the spotlight you aimed at the issue had a lot to do with it.
I wish you success in your next career step, and I hope I'll be able to read whatever it is you will be writing.
Sincerely,
Frank"

No comments:

Post a Comment