How I Got to Madison Avenue. And beyond.

As with life, this blog is developing and changing. It began with a lot of stories that occurred on my career path from Albany to Madison Avenue and back.

There were some similarities to the AMC series "Mad Men," and then I went even farther back in time with a somewhat fictionalized version of growing up in Troy's Little Italy.

And now, a new development. As my free lance advertising and marketing career winds down, I'm becoming more interested in the theatre arts that my father and his 3 brothers helped instill in me as I grew up.

As a result, I've volunteered to help promote the Theatre Institute at Sage, and now, to continue a long-interrupted desire to be behind the proscenium, I've joined the newly formed Troy Civic Theatre, and was actually fortunate enough to appear in their first production.

So, I hope you'll enjoy the new stories that will develop from this latest turn.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Frankie Goes To Guilderland

It's Academy Awards night! Hollywood's glamour will be on display for the world to see, Billy Crystal will be back as the star of another dramatic story, the “last minute” rescue of a show when the original choice can't (or won't) go on.

And back here, in New York's Capital District, another story plays out. Not as glamorous, to be sure, but not as dramatic, either.

I make my on-screen debut as an actor! (I call the part, “the man with the book.”)

After a lifetime of being behind the camera, writing, casting, producing and sometimes directing commercials, I got the urge to get in front of the lens, and I managed to get there.

The shoot was on location, in Guilderland, a suburb of Albany, at the home of the man who inspired my character, the grandfather of the writer/director, a brilliant young student named Hunter Dimin. You will hear more from him, I'm sure.

The results are in, and as you will see, Hunter has actually made me look good. Well, not bad.

The project, a 5 minute dramatization of a short story by Isaac Asimov, is now ready to be seen.

Here it is: "Personal Democracy."

No comments:

Post a Comment